Friday, October 19, 2012

Hershey's Chocolate and Orange Bon Bons




I typically don't make candies, but it has become a tradition for me and my friends to make them every year in October. Last year we used mint extract (it turned out DELICIOUS), while this year we used orange extract, almost as good. I hope you like it!


2 cups (12 oz pkg.) Hershey's White Chocolate Chips

1/2 cup unsalted butter (do NOT use margarine or Crisco I have already made that mistake)

1/3 cup Heavy Whipping Cream

1 1/2 tsp orange extract (you could also you mint extract, which I prefer)

Chocolate Coating:

2 packadges (4 oz. each) Hershey's Dark Chocolate Baking Bar (you could use milk chocolate, too)

1 tsp shortening (I use Crisco, butter of margarine do not work)


1. Line a tray with wax paper. Reserve 2 TBS white chocolate chips

2. Combine butter and whipping cream in a medium sauce pan; cook over low heat until mixture comes to a full rolling boil. Remove from heat; immediately add remaining white chocolate chips (around 2 cups). Stir with a whisk until smooth. Add orange extract; (or mint extract, or cherry extract do not add all three) blend well.

3. Refrigerate until firm enough to handle, about 2 hours. Taking a small amount of mixture at a time, shape into 1-inch balls. Place on prepared tray; refrigerate until firm, about 1 1/2 hours (I just placed then in the freezer for 20 minutes). 

4. Place dark chocolate bar broken into pieces and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM fir 2 minutes; stir. Microwave at MEDIUM an additional 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth when stirred. Cool slightly. (If chocolate is too hot, it will not coat the candy.) Place one candy onto a fork; dip into coating, covering completely and allowing excess to drip off. Repeat with remaining candies.  Take remaining white chocolate chips, and press one onto each candy. If there are extra, press those onto the candies as well. Refrigerate until cooing is set, about 1 hour. Store in Refrigerator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.