Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Crunchy Summer Salad


Summer is the perfect time to dig out old recipes and convert them into something new and refreshing. This cooking story began like many others, a poor depressed salad lacking in essential crisp flavors, lay rather limp on a cold miserable plate. However, adding sauteed noodles, fresh fruit, and a light sweet and sour dressing, it transformed an ordinary pile of leaves, to a fantastically delicious party on a plate.

I never cared much for salad, because I never enjoyed the dressing. Although I don't describe myself as a very picky eater, I do care deeply for what covers my lettuce. I don't even like vinegar, but somehow, mixed with oil and sugar, this has become the greatest dressing I had ever tasted. The crunchy bits of sauteed noodles perfectly compliment the crisp fruits, and tangy sauce. I know what I am going to be making all summer long!


CRUNCHY SUMMER SALAD:

Yield: 6-8 servings

Time: 30 min
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 15 min

Sautéed Ramon Noodles:


½ cup (1 stick) butter
2 packages of Ramon noodles
Salad Dressing:
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
½ white sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Toppings:
Strawberries
Orange Slices
Chopped Green Onions
Grapes
Chicken
Lettuce or Spinach
Directions:
For Sautéed Ramon Noodles:
In a medium frying pan, melt one stick of butter. Crush Ramon Noodles (do NOT add seasoning packet) and add to melted butter. Sauté over low heat until noodles are golden brown. Remove from heat, and allow to cool.
For Salad Dressing:
Put vinegar, oil, and sugar in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave for 2 minutes (or until sugar is dissolved and mixture is boiling). Remove from microwave, and mix in soy sauce. Chill until ready to assemble salad.
To Assemble Salad:
Place lettuce or spinach on a plate, and add cooled sautéed noodles, strawberries, chopped green onions, grapes, chicken, and orange slices. Drizzle dressing over salad, and toss until it is evenly coated. Enjoy!



Note: Thanks to my cousin MV for giving me the recipe for the dressing and sautéed Ramon noodles!

1 comment:

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.