Thursday, September 5, 2013

Baked Apple Turnovers


Last year for school I had to participate in a medieval feast, in which I had to bring some sort of medieval food to share. After digging around, I finally found a variation of this recipe on an obscure medieval website. The first time I made these, I thought that they were pretty gross. The apples were really mushy and slimy, and the crust was really hard and not very appetizing. After experimenting a bit, I finally was able to make an edible version to bring to the medieval feast. I modified it a bit more, until I got this. Instead of having a whole mushy apple (skin and all) wrapped in some tough chewy dough, I got soft but not mushy apple pieces with caramel, in a flaky pastry. Hopefully I will be able to bake these again, maybe making them with different ingredients, such as peaches or even some meat. I think I know what I am going to be baking all autumn!



Baked Apple Turnovers:

Oven: 425°F.

Ingredients:

6 apples, peeled and sliced

1/4 + 1/2 cup white sugar

3 cups all purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

3/4 cup shortening

1/3 cup cold water

1/2 cup butter

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425° F. Mix flour and salt and 1/4 cup sugar in a medium-size bowl; cut in shortening until crumbly.

Sprinkle water over mixture, mix lightly with a fork until pastry holds together and leaves the sides of bowl. Remove from bowl, and knead into a smooth ball (add more flour if necessary); set aside.

 Melt the butter, mix in 1/2 cup sugar, and spices. Roll our dough in flat circles, place about 2 TBS of the sliced apples on each pastry, top with about 1 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar mixture. Fold over, and seal with a fork.

 Bake for about 22 minutes, or until turnovers are golden, sizzling, and some of the cinnamon sugar mixture has seeped out and turned into a golden caramel. Happy Baking!

3 comments:

  1. You finally found the recipe! Hoorah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I spent a really long time searching for it.

    ReplyDelete

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.