Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Whole Wheat Bread Recipe



Since the warm summery weather has vanished, leaving frigid autumn temperatures, it seemed only fair to post another bread recipe. This is a delicious whole wheat bread, and it definitely beats any dried out store bought bread. If only I had the time to bake it everyday (sighs)...I seriously have no idea who to credit as the author of this recipe, for I received it from my grandmother who may or may not have obtained it from my cousins. Anyway, it goes very nicely with soup, plain, right out of the oven, or if it is a day old (if it lasts that long) makes excellent toast.


Whole Wheat Bread Recipe:

Ingredients:

1/3 cup oil

1/3 cup honey

2 1/2 cup warm water

1 1/2 TBSP instant yeast

2 1/2 tsp salt

6-7 cups fresh whole wheat flour

1 1/2 TBSP dough enhancer

Directions:

Combine the warm water, yeast, and 2 cups of fresh whole wheat flour in a large mixing bowl. Allow to sponge for 15 minutes. Add honey, oil, dough enhancer, salt, and remaining flour (4-5 cups) and mix until the dough begins to clean the sides of the bowl. Do no allow dough to get too stiff (too dry).

Knead bread by hand for 7-10 minutes, or until it is smooth, elastic, and small bubbles or blisters begin to appear beneath the surface of the dough. 6-10 minutes of kneading should be done if using an electric mixer. If you are kneading by hand, be sure to add the minimum amount of flour to keep the dough soft and pliable.

Form the dough into 2 loaves. Allow to rise in a slightly warm oven, or other warm place until doubled in size (30-60 minutes). Bake loaves for 25-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Note: Since the poll on my blog has concluded that most everyone wants soup to be the next post, I will hopefully be able to comply with your wishes. If not, there will be a soup coming in the near future. Happy Thursday! 

1 comment:

  1. That's the same recipe we use, and I think we gave it to Grandma at some point. I don't know where we got it, though. ;P But we didn't invent it. . . It makes yummy bread!

    ReplyDelete

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.