Monday, November 11, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie Soup


After successfully making the wild rice soup, I wanted to try a different kind. I found (on Pinterest, of course!) this recipe for chicken pot pie soup. After about half way through making it, I discovered that I had no peas. Oh well, some people in my family don't exactly care for them, anyway.Attached to the soup, there was a recipe for biscuits that I may try soon. They looked really good, so you may look forward to that in a future post.

Why does it have to get so cold every year? I am beginning to like the idea of moving somewhere warm. However, a hot bowl of soup is extremely nice after shoveling snow! I'm excited to make many more soup recipes in the future.



Chicken Pot Pie Soup:

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:

20 oz boneless skinless cooked chicken breasts, shredded

5 TBSP butter

1 small chopped yellow onion

1 cup diced celery

6 TBSP flour

1 15oz can low sodium chicken broth

2 1/2 cups milk

2 cups peeled and diced potatoes

1 cup peeled and sliced carrots

1/2 teaspoon dried parsley

1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

1/4 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary

salt and pepper

1/2 cup heavy cream

1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

1 cup frozen peas

Directions:

In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add in onion and celery and saute 3 minutes. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 1/2 minutes longer. While whisking, slowly pour in chicken broth and milk. Add in potatoes, carrots, parsley, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture just to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently, until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.


Stir in shredded chicken, heavy cream, lemon juice and peas and cook just until heated through.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.