Monday, November 4, 2013

Chicken Wild Rice Soup and Bread Bowls


Since I missed last Thursday, I I figured that I would share 2 recipes today. What goes better together than bread bowls and soup? (I can actually think of a lot of things that would be better...) Anyway, ever since I visited Panera Bread a few years ago, I have been wanting to make bread bowls. Finally, I have found a recipe, and then of course, I needed a fantastic soup to go with it. Maybe I'll try baking Scottish Baps again... I bet that would taste yummy with the remaining soup.

 I found a recipe for chicken wild rice soup on Pinterest, and I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, upon beginning the soup, I was struck with the realization that I had no chicken to go in my soup! (That is why you can see no chicken in the picture.) I added a little extra chicken base to my chicken broth to make up for the loss of meat, and it turned out fine.

The bread bowls went excellently with this soup recipe, though you might want to be careful about loading them up with soup (my bread bowls leaked).



Chicken Wild Rice Soup:

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter

1 finely chopped onion

1/2 cup celery

1/2 cup sliced carrots

1/2 pound sliced mushrooms

3/4 cup flour

6 cups chicken broth

2 cups cooked wild rice

1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon curry powder

1/2 teaspoon mustard powder

1/2 teaspoon parsley

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 cup slivered almonds

2 tablespoons dry sherry (I just used regular cooking wine)

2 cups half and half

Directions:

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion, celery, and carrots, and saute for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute for 2 more minutes. Add the flour and stir well. Gradually pour in the chicken broth, stirring constantly, until it all has been added. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and let simmer

Next, add the rice, chicken, salt, curry powder, mustard powder, parsley, ground black pepper, almonds, and sherry. Allow to heat through, and then pour in the half-and-half. Let simmer for 1-2 hours. (Note: DO not boil or you roux will break.) Serve in bread bowls. (Recipe follows.)

Bread Bowls:

Ingredients:

1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons warm water, 110 degrees

1 (.25 oz) pkg active dry yeast

2 teaspoons granulated sugar

1 cup milk, warmed to 110 degrees

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

2 teaspoons salt

4-4 1/2 cups bread flour

1 egg white

2 teaspoons water

Directions:

In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, whisk together 1/2 cup +2 tablespoons warm water with the yeast and sugar until yeast has dissolved, allow to rest for 5-10 minutes. Stir in milk, olive oil, and salt, then add 2 cups of bread flour and set the stand mixer with the whisk attachment and blend mixture on low speed until well combined. Switch to the hook attachment, and add 2 more cups of flour, knead mixture until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, adding addition flour (up to 1/2 cup) as needed to make a soft, smooth dough (it should pull away from the sides of the bowl). Transger dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a damp towel and place in a warm place to double in size, about 1 1/2 hours.

Punch dough down and divide into 4-5 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball on a lightly floured work surface, while tucking edges under several times (I first would flatted slightly, then roll a piece as if rolling up cinnamon rolls, then tuch the edges unto to make a smooth ball, this just helps it hold its structure). Transfer rolls to a Silpat lined baking sheet, cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap (or dust tops of rolls slightly with flour and cover with ungreased plastic wrap), let rest 40-45 minutes until nearly doubled. Preheat oven to 425 degrees during the last 10 minutes of rising.

In a small mixing bowl, whisk together egg white and water until foamy and gently brush egg wash over the tops of rolls. Bake in preheated oven for 19-25 minutes until hollow, laying foil over rolls near the end as needed to prevent excessive browning. Remove from oven adn coll on a wire rack. Cut top centers from rolls and stor in an airtight container. Serve warm with chicken wild rice soup.



Note: I got these recipes from "http://www.cookingclassy.com/2013/09/homemade-bread-bowls/" and "http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Wild-Rice-Soup-I/Detail.aspx" if you would also like to make Scottish Baps with your remaining soup, here is the recipe, "http://breadbrowniesandbeyond.blogspot.com/2013/08/scottish-baps.html". If you are making the soup and bread bowls together, start with the bread. Once that is rising, then make the soup. That way, they will get done around the same time. In my recipe, I did not add the celery (yuck!) mushrooms (yuck!) or the sliced almonds. Happy Thursday!

1 comment:

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.