Thursday, November 14, 2013

Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies (with Chickpeas! shhh...!)


This is probably the first healthy and tasty chocolate chip cookie recipe that I have ever found. I have made these twice now, and my family loves them! They may not be those gooey or crunchy cookies that we are all used to, but they are light and puffy, (a little crumbly, though).

Since I had been craving chocolate chip cookies for quite a while, I pulled out a healthy dessert cookbook, I came across this recipe. What makes them healthy, is their secret ingredient (seriously, you can't even tell that it is the cookies) chickpeas! Hoping they tasted a good as their picture looked, I found my chickpeas and made "healthy" cookies (don't tell my family, or they may no longer eat them). I was pretty unsure about the chickpeas, thinking at any moment one of my brothers would appear and ask me, "Why is there a bean in my cookie?" (Of course, I would correct them, saying, "That is not a bean, that is a Chickpea!") However, luckily, that did not happen. The chickpeas blended in perfectly, and no one could tell the difference.

These were definitely a good use of my time. The chocolate was melty, it was hard to tell there was whole wheat in them (other than the darker color and they were a bit more crumbly). Like it said in my cookbook, watch out for flying chickpeas if you use an electric mixer. I thought that was a joke, but it does happen.



Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies:

Yield: 20 cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

3/4 cup margarine (I used Criso)

2 large egg whites

2 teaspoons vanilla

1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup old fashioned oats

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.

In a large mxing bowl, or the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the sugar and margarine with a wooden spoon, or on medium speed, until smooth. Beat in the egg whites and vanilla, then add the chickpeas and chocolate chips. Add the flour, oats, baking soda, and salt, and mix on low speed until thick dough forms.

Drop the dough by the tablespoonful onto the baking sheet, spacing the cookies about 2" apart. Press gently with a fork to flatten. Bake until the cookies are golden brown and just set, 11-13 minutes, do not overbake. Transfer to a rack to cool

Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Note: I got this recipe from Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious cookbook. I have never really made anything from it other than these cookies, but I believe I shall be making more of her recipes now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.