Thursday, November 21, 2013

Peanut Butter Chocolate Puppy Chow



For years this has been one of my absolute favorite desserts/snacks. Since the holidays are just around the corner I figured that it was probably time to begin reviewing last years Christmas recipes, and discovering some new ones. However, I did not have to do much digging for this recipe, as it is usually featured on the back of a chex mix box, or can easily be found online.

In case you are unfamiliar with puppy chow (gasps in horror!) basically all it is chex, covered in chocolate and peanut butter, which is then covered in powdered sugar. Yum, right? It is also referred to as muddy buddies, or chocolate chex, or some other rather lame name. What was wrong with calling it puppy chow? That sounds so cute! (Probably because people started feeding it to their dogs... This is not dog food! This contains chocolate!)

I seemed to have gotten side tracked... Anyhow, I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! It takes about 5-15 minutes to make, but you may want some extra time to let it harden so it is not so sticky. Have a fantastic Thursday!



Peanut Butter Chocolate Puppy Chow:

Yield: 18 servings, 1/2 cup per serving (yeah right! I think of it more as 1 enormous serving)

Ingredients:

9 cups rice or corn chex (about 1 box)

1 cup chocolate chips

1/2 cup peanut butter

1/4 cup butter

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Directions:

In one huge bowl, put the 9 cups of chex. In a microwave safe bowl, add chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter. Microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds, stir, and microwave and addition 30 seconds if required. Mix in vanilla. Combine chocolate mixture to chex, and stir until evenly coated. Mix in the powdered sugar, and enjoy! (The recipe recommended to put the chocolate chex into a bag and add the powdered sugar, and shake to combine. However, I have always just mixed it in, and if careful, it will turn out fine. In not careful, you might crush all your chex!)

Note: As I said earlier in this post, I got this recipe off the back of a chex box. It can also be found in a Charlie Brown Cookbook. This recipe is Gluten Free. Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.