Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Weeping Angel Sugar Cookies


To those of you who also watch Doctor Who, these might be some of the most terrifying cookies ever. Before I began this long journey on Netflix, I would have seen them ordinary cookies. Simply angels, nothing to fear here! I can feel those words running through my mind. I could have never been so wrong. However, my enjoyment of freaking out the fellow Whovians in my family conquered the fear of baking scary cookies. "Frosted Evil" is what they should be called.

If you do not watch Doctor Who and are utterly befuddled about what I am saying, let me explain it to you. Doctor Who is the greatest television show in the history of television. It consists of a man called the Doctor who travels through all of time and space in a ship (bigger on the inside) called the TARDIS. He usually is accompanied by 1 or more companions that aid him in his travels. In one episode, he encountered a villain called The Weeping Angels. Also referred to as Lonely Assassins, they can only move when they are not in sight of any living creature. Scary, huh? So let me warn you. "Don't blink! Don't even blink! Blink and your dead. They are fast, faster than you can believe. Don't turn around, don't look away, and DON'T BLINK! Good luck!" --The 10th Doctor


Sugar Cookies:

Yield: About 3 dozen cookies

Ingredients:

3 cups flour

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup butter, softened

1 cup sugar

1 egg, beaten

1 tablespoon milk

Extra flour, for rolling out dough

Directions:

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Place butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat until light in color. Add egg and milk, and beat until combined. Put mixer on low speed, and gradually add flour. Divide dough in half, wrap in waxed paper, and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Remove dough packs from fridge, and on a lightly floured surface, roll dough out 1/4-inch thick. Cut out cookies into desired shapes (I choose a weeping angel cookie cutter), and place 1-inch apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 7-9 minutes until lightly gold around the edges. Allow to fully cool before frosting.

Royal Icing:

3 3/4 cup powdered sugar

6 tablespoons milk

6 tablespoons corn syrup

1 teaspoon extract (I used vanilla)

Directions:

Whisk all ingredients together until smooth. Seperate into two bowls. In one bowl, add addition powdered sugar until it is hard to whisk, and when the whisk is lifted, the icing runs off in in a slow thick stream. Place the thicker icing in a piping bag, and outline the cookies. Allow to harden. Frost the cookies with the thinner icing, and allow to harden. Enjoy!

Note: I got the royal icing recipe from "http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/12/tutorial-cookie-decorating-with-glace-icing/"

I got the cookie recipe from "http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sugar-cookies-recipe/index.html"


2 comments:

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.