Thursday, January 16, 2014

Gluten-Free Granola Bars



I have wanted to try a good granola bar recipe for a while, and at last, I have finally found one! It's also gluten-free, a fantastic bonus. Though a bit crumbly and hard to remove from the pan without breaking, the flavor is excellent. The original unaltered recipe called for raisins (yuck!) and cinnamon. Cinnamon with peanut butter? Not just a bit of cinnamon, a whole tablespoon? Hmm... I sprinkled a little in, hoping to be surprised by a wonderful new flavor combination. I wasn't. I actually added extra peanut butter to cover up the gross taste. Leave out the cinnamon. As for the raisins, since I (and most of my family) dislike them so much, we had none. I had to use dark chocolate chips instead.

I am not quite sure if ground flaxseed is something that can be purchased, or if people just grind it themselves. Experimenting is the fun part of cooking, so I put mine in the coffee grinder, and ground away. I think that worked pretty well. Actually, it worked so well that there were only a few pieces not totally ground up.  Have a fantastic Thursday!



Gluten Free Granola Bars:

Yield: 12 bars

Oven: 350 degrees F.

Ingredients:

2 cups gluten-free oats

1/2 cup ground flaxseed

1/2 cup chopped peanuts

1/2 cup dark chocolate

1/2 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup maple syrup

6 tablespoon oil (I used vegetable)

1 teaspoon salt

parchment paper

Directions:

Preheat oven, and spread parchment paper of an 8x8 pan.

On a cookie sheet (not the 8x8 pan) spread oats, flaxseed, and chopped nuts. Bake until golden, about 10-15 minutes.

In a medium sauce pan, combine peanut butter, maple syrup, oil, and salt. Stir until smooth and creamy.

Mix the oats, nuts, and flaxseed into the peanut butter mixture. Add the chocolate chips, and spread in prepared 8x8 pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and allow to cool. (They are more crumbly when warm.) Cut into squares, and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

Note: I got this recipe from "http://eatdrinkshoplove.com/2014/01/09/gluten-free-granola-bars/"

I think next time I make this, I may use honey instead of syrup...

1 comment:

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.