Monday, January 6, 2014

Triple Chocolate Pound Cake



It has been a while since I have posted something chocolate. Although I have immensely enjoyed all the new flavors, nothing comes quite close to chocolate cake. Usually I end up making sort of uninteresting Hershey cake. Not this time. This time, I made a pound cake, something I have often heard of, but never tried. Actually, it's a bit like banana bread, though thankfully lacking in bananas. I finally have something to disagree with on Doctor Who. Bananas are most certainly not good.

Just from the picture I knew at once this cake and I would be best friends. Nothing says delicious like the words "triple chocolate." I quickly scanned the recipe. To my delight I had all the ingredients on hand, ready to be thrown into a mixture and beat into deliciousness. However, to my utter disappointment, it had to bake for 75 MINUTES! Don't make this recipe unless you are very patient.

Though the original recipe called for buttercream frosting, I had no powdered sugar so I made a chocolate chip frosting instead. It hardens very well (and quickly), and the cake can still be warm while frosting.


Triple Chocolate Pound Cake:

Yield: 1 pound cake

Ingredients:

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened

1/2 cup sour cream

1 1/2 cups sugar

1/2 tablespoon half and half

3 eggs

1 1/4 cup flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup cocoa powder

3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 load pan; set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sour cream, sugar, and half and half, blending ingredients well. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder. Add half the flour mixture to the butter-sugar mixture, and blend well; then add the remaining flour mixture and mix everything together. Fold in the mini-chocolate chips, stirring to distribute the chips evenly in the batter.

Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake at 325 degrees for 70-75 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean (the toothpick may not come out clean if it is accidentally inserted into a chocolate chip). Cool in loaf pan for 8-10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely.

When loaf is cool, frost with Rich Chocolate Buttercream Frosting (see recipe bellow).

Rich Chocolate Chip Frosting

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sugar

6 tablespoons butter

6 tablespoons milk

1 cup milk chocolate

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

In a microwave safe bowl, mix sugar, butter, and milk. Microwave on high for five minutes, until boiling. Stir in vanilla and milk chocolate. Immediately frost cake. Allow to cool and harden. Enjoy!

Note: The frosting cannot be seen in the picture because the cake was cut too soon (it was still very warm) and the frosting fell off.

 I got the original cake recipe from: "http://nancycreative.com/2010/08/28/triple-chocolate-pound-cake/"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.