Monday, February 3, 2014

Gluten-Free Macarons


I can honestly say that this is the first time I have ever baked using the metric system. I actually had no idea how to use it in cooking, and I sat, pondering if there were some sort of special measuring cups. Apparently, a scale is actually used to measure amounts, and lucky for me, I had one.


I used to think that macaroons meant coconut mixed with sweetened condensed milk, and baked until golden. Though that is a type of macaroons, there are other more delicious kinds. This, is a almond Nutella filled meringue cookie that though tiny, was absolutely heavenly. Be careful, because of the absence of wheat, they tend to be very crumbly and prone to cracking. Have a fantastic Monday!


Gluten Free Macaroons:

Ingredients:

4 egg whites, separated

230 grams (about 2 cups) powdered sugar

130 grams (about 2/3 cup) ground almonds

60 grams (about 1/4 cup) granulated sugar

Nutella (or another type of filling, like whipped cream or icing)

Directions:

In a large mixing bowl, combine ground almonds and powdered sugar. Add 2 egg whites, do not mix.

In a separate bowl, whisk other 2 egg whites and granulated sugar until it possesses the consistency of shaving cream (do it with an electric mixer, because this will take a really long while). Fold the first two egg whites with the powdered sugar ground almond mixture into the meringue.

 Place in a piping bag, and carefully pipe onto a cooking sheet. Tap cookie sheet on a countertop in order to remove air bubbles from the cookies. Bake for 15 minutes in a 300 degree oven F. Cookies are done when the tops are slightly cracked, and edges are golden.

Note: I got this recipe from:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4hlSsUmEYA&list=UUWRV5AVOlKJR1Flvgt310Cw&feature=c4-overview

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.