Thursday, February 13, 2014

Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake



Happy Valentine's Day!  At least it will be tomorrow, so I have decided to make something extra special. No, not some sort of pink heart cake made from a dry mix, and frosted with bright pink icing. As tempting as that may sound, I had to decline. Instead, I made this (as the title has expressed), a wonderfully delicious peanut butter cup cheese cake.When I say peanut butter cup, I mean it's like one giant peanut butter cup...except for the crust, which is made of crushed Oreos.



Since it has been freezing outside lately, I needed to make something that would warm me up a little, like a recipe featuring lots of time in the oven, as well as stove top. When I spied with my little eye (shouldn't it be eyes?) an awesome cheesecake recipe, how could I resist? I guess I couldn't, seeing as how that is what I am posting.



I think my favorite kind of cake is cheesecake, though it technically is not a cake at all. More like a pie. Cakes are usually so dry, topped with some kind of overly sugary frosting, while cheesecakes are moist and creamy, with a delectable crust typically made from some sort of crushed cookie. Yes, I have decided, I absolutely love cheesecakes.

Usually I post some tips for the recipe... not many are coming to mind... Oh! Got one. Put a pan of water below the cake in the oven. The steam will keep it from cracking.  Make sure it is fully cool before your put the last chocolate layer on, and make sure everything has fully hardened before adding the whipped cream. Have a lovely Valentines Day!


Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake:

Yield: About 14 pieces

Ingredients:

Oreo Cookie Crust:

2 cups crushed Oreo cookie crumbs

5 tablespoons salted butter, melted

Peanut Butter Cheesecake Layer:

1 8oz package cream cheese

1/4 cup sugar

1 cup peanut butter

1 egg

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Chocolate Cheesecake Layer:

1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips

1 8oz package cream cheese

2 eggs

2 tablespoons milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Chocolate Topping:

1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Whipped Cream Topping:

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

2 tablespoons sugar

chopped Reese's peanut butter cups (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease a 9" spring form pan. Combine Oreo crumbs and butter, and press in the bottom of spring form pan. Set aside.

Beat cream cheese and sugar. Add peanut butter, eggs, and vanilla. Beat until well combined. Set aside.

Melt 1 1/2 cups of dark chocolate in a heavy saucepan. Stir in cream cheese, milk, and vanilla, mixing until creamy. Beat eggs, and combine with chocolate mixture.

Pour half the chocolate mixture over Oreo crust, followed by the peanut butter layer, and then the remaining chocolate mixture. Bake for 50 minutes until set. Remove from oven and allow to cool before refrigerating.

Heat 1/4 cup heavy whipping until boiling. Stir in 1/2 cup dark chocolate, and pour over cooled cheesecake. Allow mixture to set.

Beat 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream and sugar until it has the consistency of shaving cream. Place in a piping bag, and decorate with dollops of whipped cream around the edges of cheesecake. Sprinkle chopped peanut butter cups over the whipped cream.

Note: The tea featured in the picture is Irish Breakfast Tea. I got this recipe from: http://insidebrucrewlife.com/2013/08/peanut-butter-cup-cheesecake/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.