Monday, February 24, 2014

Strawberry Scones with Chocolate and White Drizzle



I recently ventured to Keys Cafe and partook of one of the most delicious scones ever. I felt it my solemn duty to replicate the experience for the rest of my family, and this is what I came up with.



I seem to have developed a bad habit of adding chocolate to basically every recipe I can find. However, it certainly tastes good! Though my inspiration (the Keys Cafe scones) omitted the chocolate, I threw some in anyways. Berries go much better with chocolate than without it.

For those in my family who do not enjoy dark flavors, I used a simple white glaze. Both will be in the recipe, and I hope you enjoy!


Strawberry Scone Recipe:

4 cups all-purpose flour

2/3 cup white sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, grated 

1 cup sour cream (I used vanilla yogurt)

2 eggs

1/2 cup (about 5-8 berries) chopped strawberries

1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips (I chopped up some milk chocolate stars)

Mix dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the grated butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add in chocolate and chopped strawberries. 

In a separate bowl, whisk sour cream and eggs. Pour into dry mixture, and mix until well combined. 

On a well floured surface, roll dough out into a large circle, about 1/2" thick. Cut out triangles, and place on a parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 13-17 minutes, or until golden. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the white sugar drizzle

White Sugar Drizzle:

1/3 cup powdered sugar

2 tablespoons milk

Mix ingredients together adding more milk or sugar until it reaches desired consistency. Drizzle over cooled scones with a spoon or fork. (If scones are not fully cool, the drizzle will not harden up, it will melt into the scones.)

A dark chocolate drizzle can be made by melting 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips for about 45 seconds. 

Note: I got the original simple scone recipe from: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/simple-scones/




2 comments:

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.