Monday, March 3, 2014

Star Trek Voyager's Jimbalian Fudge Cake


One of my absolute favorite episodes of Star Trek Voyager is the one celebrating Captain Janeway's birthday. Neelix made an extravagantly beautiful birthday cake, one I have been longing to recreate. Weeks passed into months, months into years. I still had yet to make a Jimbalian Fudge Cake. However, a few days ago I stumbled across a picture. A simple innocent picture of the bluest cake in all the universe. 

I resolved to make that cake. Obviously not exactly like the real one, considering that recipe will not be invented for decades, but pretty close. I used my favorite Hershey's chocolate cake recipe, and a very blue buttercream frosting. Beware! Your tounge will most definitely turn blue. 


Yield: 12 servings

Time:
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 30 min
Cool: 30 min
Ready in: 75 min

Ingredients:

2 cups sugar

3/4 cup cocoa powder

1 3/4 cup all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 cup boiling water

1 cup 1% milk

1 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Grease two 9" cake pans and line them with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine sugar, cocoa, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add wet ingredients, and mix until thoroughly combined. Mixture will be very watery, but that is what makes the cake so moist.

Pour into cake pans, and bake for 30-35 minutes in preheated oven. Remove when center is set, a toothpick inserted comes out clean, and edges pull away from the sides of the pan. Allow to cool, and then frost with blue butter cream frosting.

Blue Butter Cream Frosting:

2 sticks butter, softened

4 cups powdered sugar

2 tablespoons whipping cream

1 teaspoon extract (I used vanilla, but mint would also taste good)

Blue Food Coloring (I didn't measure this out, but I used around 1-2 teaspoons)

Directions:

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter. Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Beat in whipping cream and extract. Add food coloring little by little until desired color is reached. Frost cooled chocolate cakes. Enjoy!

Note: If you do not like blue cake (or Star Trek inspired recipes) this is still absolutely delicious without all the food coloring. I got the chocolate cake recipe from my Hershey Cookbook

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, that's a lot of blue food coloring! :O No wonder your tongue turned blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but the cake certainly tasted fantastic!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! Bright blue has always been a favorite of mine.

      Delete

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.