Monday, April 21, 2014

Tacos



It's taco time, WOOHOO! I've always had fondness for tacos, but only with a crunchy taco shell. I absolutely hate the yucky store-bought dried out tortillas. However, they are taken to a completely new level if they are fresh and/or homemade.

I was a bit nervous to make these at first... Frying pans don't exactly like me very much. I have a bad habit of destroying eggs and pancakes whenever I attempt to make them. However, after carefully following the directions, I made one of the best tacos, ever.

First, imagine a normal, fairly desent taco. Now imagine one in which the tortilla has been fried, in oil. Yeah, it's about 10X as good!

According to my grandmother, who I got the recipe from, she was taught how to make these tacos by a Mexican woman in Arizona. If that is not incentive enough to make these, I don't know what is!



Tacos:

Yield: About 8 taco shells

Time:
Prep: 20 min
Cook: 10 min
Ready In: 30 min

Ingredients:

Tortilla Shells:

2 cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

3/4 cup boiling water

Vegetable Oil (or olive oil), for greasing pan

Taco Toppings:

Hamburger or chicken, cooked

Lettuce

Cheese

Tomatoes

Sour Cream

Taco Sauce, or Salsa

Directions:

Combine salt and flour. Add water and oil. Mix until well combined. Roll into 8 balls. Set aside for 15 minutes on waxed paper.

Roll dough into large circles, about 7 inches across. Cook in a vegetable oil greased frying pan until well done, but not brown.

For Taco Assembly:

This part is optional, but recommended.

Taking a tortilla shell, place meat into the center, and fold shell in half. Fry in vegetable oil on each side until light brown. Add other toppings, cheese, lettuce, tomato, salsa, and sour cream as desired. Enjoy!




4 comments:

  1. Hi!!!!!!! I love your Blog! I have a question. With the meat part. I don't quite understand. do I fully submerge the taco shell until it get brittle and crispy.]? Another thing. Is the meat supposed to be cooked before it is put into the shell and fried? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for visiting my blog! That is an excellent question. First, the taco shell should be cooked in a lightly greased pan (greased with either cooking spray or vegetable oil), until it is soft and has brown splotches on the bottom. Afterwards, *cooked* meat is placed in the center of the shell, and fried in a pan lightly greased with vegetable oil until it is golden and crispy. I only put a couple tablespoons of oil in the bottom of my pan to finished cooking the taco (depending on the size of your pan 1-3 tablespoons should be fine).

      Delete
    2. Thank You! I think I am going to try it this weekend!!!!!!

      Delete

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.