Monday, May 12, 2014

Eclair Cake



Happy Mother's Day! At least it was, yesterday. A few weeks ago, one of my friends notified me of an incredibly awesome cake. Although I say practically everything is incredibly awesome, (I am a very optimistic person!) this blew me away. An eclair (ONE OF THE GREATEST DESSERTS. EVER!) turned into a cake!! Wow. I knew immediately that this was coming up in a future blog post. 


I really was hoping for a holiday to appear so I could make this. I don't always bake elaborate desserts just for fun, (though I do sometimes), usually there is a good reason for my baking. I was so very delightfully surprised when I remembered about Mother's Day, and that provided the perfect occasion to make this. 

I don't remember exactly how long this took to make, but most of the time spent was waiting for it to chill or bake. I should warn you, it took several hours to complete, so either start it very early in the morning, or the night before you plan on eating it.



Eclair Cake:

Yield: About 20 pieces

Oven: 400 degrees

Pan: 9x13"

Ingredients:

1 cup water

1/2 cup butter

1 cup all-purpose flour

4 eggs

Filling:

1/2 cup cornstarch

4 cups milk

4 tablespoons butter

1 cup sugar

2 slightly beaten eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla

Whipped Cream:

1 cup heavy whipping cream

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

Chocolate Drizzle:

1/4 cup cocoa

1 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup evaporated milk

1/4 cup butter

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

For the Cake:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and grease a 9x13" pan.

In a medium sauce pan, melted butter. Add water, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in flour. Mix in eggs, stirring well after each addition.

Spread in prepared pan, and up the sides evenly. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool.

For the Filling:

In a medium glass bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch with a whisk. Slowly stir in milk. Cook on high for 5-7 minutes, or until thickened stirring every 2 minutes.

Beat half of the hot mixture into eggs. Blend egg mixture into remaining hot mixture. Microwave on high for 1 1/2-2 1/2 minutes, or until thickened, stirring every 45 seconds. Whisk in butter and vanilla. Pour over cooled crust, and allow to cool.

For Whipped Cream:

Beat heavy whipping cream and sugar in an electric mixture until soft peaks form. Spread over cooled pudding layer on cake. Place in refrigerator.

For Chocolate Drizzle:

Stir together cocoa and sugar. In a medium saucepan, combine milk, butter, salt, and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients. Heat, stirring until it reaches a boil and gets thick. Boil for about 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat, and allow to cool slightly.

Drizzle over whipped cream. Chill in fridge until everything is set, and ready to serve. Enjoy!

Sources: http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2009/06/chocolate-eclair-cake.html
 http://www.cooks.com/recipe/jo3v7699/microwave-vanilla-pudding.html
 http://trinasadventuresandsuch.blogspot.com/2014/04/chocolate-eclair-cake-for-easter.html

4 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth! I was looking at your chocolate mixture and me ,being the addict I am, thought that next time you should put in a couple of toffee bits. If you are not allergic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo! That's sounds good. I love toffee!

      Delete
    2. I am addicted. I am surely going to make this cake. probably for my mum's birthday in August though.

      Delete

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.