Thursday, May 29, 2014

Twix Cookies


When it comes to candy bars, Twix are probably in my top five favorites. I do enjoy peanut butter cups, and milky way bars, but as mentioned by George in Seinfeld, Twix are the only candy bars with a cookie crunch. I used a plain and simple crunchy sugar cookie recipe that I had sitting around, followed by gooey salted caramel from a birthday cake I made a few years ago, topped with melted chocolate. YUUUM!

While on vacation, I went into slight cooking withdrawal, because I had no food to cook with. I consumed a few twix bar while in California, and it got me thinking, "What if I could recreate these? What if I could make them into cookies?!" Well, I can gladly inform you all that I have followed my dream! Twix cookies have been born!



Twix Cookies:

Yield: About 6 dozen cookies (depending on how large you cut them)

Time:
Prep: 15 min
Chill: 30 min
Cook: 10 minutes
Frost: 30 min
Ready In: 85 minutes

Oven: 350 degrees F

Ingredients:

Cookies:

1 cup butter

2 cups sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

5 cups flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup milk

Caramel Layer:

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup water

2 tablespoons light corn syrup

1/4 cup sour cream

Chocolate Layer:

1  1/2 cups milk chocolate (or desired chocolate)

Directions:

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Cover and refrigerate 15-30 minutes or until easy to handle.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8" thickness. Cut cookies into little rectangles, about 2" inches wide, and 4-5" inches long. Place 2" inches apart on a greased baking sheet.

Bake about 10-15 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Remove cookies from pans, transferring to wire racks to cool completely. Meanwhile, prepare caramel sauce.

Caramel Layer:

In a small sauce pan, combine the heavy cream and salt. Very slowly, bring to a simmer until the salt is dissolved. Remove from heat.

In a medium sauce pan, combine the water, sugar, and corn syrup. Stir together carefully, making sure not to splash up the sides of your pan (if you do, it will burn on). Cook over high heat until your candy thermometer reads 350 degrees F, or until the mixture is a dark amber color (keep a close eye on it, stirring constantly, the color change happens very quickly). This should take about 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool for 1 minute.

Add cream to mixture. Whisk in sour cream. Let caramel come to a room temperature. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until you are ready to assemble the cookies.

To Assemble:

Drizzle caramel over cooled cookies. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Melt chocolate in the microwave on high for 1 minute, and stir. Continue to heat for 30 second increments until fully melted. Spread over the cooled caramel layer, and allow to harden.

Note: I like to use the extra caramel in coffee, preferable Frappuccinos

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.