Thursday, June 5, 2014

Crunchy Cinnamon Butterscotch Cookies



About to make chocolate chip cookies, I realized I was out of chocolate. You probably imagine my devastation as I ravaged through cupboards in desperate search of a few morsels of chocolate. However, there was none to be found. I needed a back up plan, something else to make instead. Normally, I would forget the dream of cookies, and go sulk somewhere in hope that chips might magically appear, but company awaited cookies in an opposite room, and I don't like to disappoint.

Digging through cupboards once more, I stumbled upon an abundance of butterscotch. I don't have a particular liking those kinds of chips, but without chocolate, they were my only hope. I threw together the ingredients, and the finished product turned out amazing. The cinnamon and oats perfectly complimented the strong flavor of butterscotch, while the mix of butter and Crisco made them light, but allowed them to remain a bit crispy. Although nothing can replace chocolate chip cookies, these cookies came awfully close.




Crunchy Cinnamon Butterscotch Cookies:

Yield: About 2 dozen

Time: 20 min
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 10 min

Oven: 350 degrees F

Ingredients:

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened

1/2 cup Crisco

1 1/2 cups light brown sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 cups flour

1 cup rolled oats

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 cup butterscotch chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two cookie sheets.

Beat together butter, Crisco, sugar, eggs, and vanilla, on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.

In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Slowly add to sugar egg mixture, until dough comes together. Spoon onto cookie sheets, and bake in a preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until golden. Let sit 10 minutes until cool.

1 comment:

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.