Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese


I am very picky when it comes to Macaroni and Cheese. First of all, I despise Kraft's version. It's usually dry, the noodles are too chewy, and the cheese powder always clumps. Kraft nearly ruined this entire dish for me, until I found out that Macaroni and Cheese didn't have to be disappointing and disgusting. I am extremely glad I decided to give this recipe a chance. It was excellent!


It can be so hard to find good Macaroni and Cheese, let alone make it. I had never really made a *real* pasta dish before, (real, meaning not Ramon Noodles, or Suddenly Salad), so naturally, I was a bit intimidated at first. Doing my best to follow the cooking directions, I threw together ingredients, hoping I was doing everything correctly. Apparently, I was, and this turned out brilliantly! I hope this is something I will be making it again in the near future. 

Macaroni and Cheese:

Yield: 6 servings

Time: 30 min
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 20 min

Ingredients:

1 pound gluten free dry elbow pasta

1 stick butter

1/2 cup corn starch 

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper

2 cups milk

2 cups finely shredded mild cheddar cheese

Directions:

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, and set aside for a few minutes while you prepare the cheese sauce.

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes until color of the roux darkens. Slowly whisk in milk, stirring continuously until thickened, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat heat to a simmer, and stir in cheese until melted.

In a large bowl (or saucepan, if it's big enough), combine cooked pasta and cheese sauce. Stir until well combined. Serve immediately. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.