Monday, July 14, 2014

California Eggs Benedict


Recently I have developed an interest in making eggs benedict. I attempted it once, but completely failed. It didn't even come close to looking like eggs benedict. I don't think that it should have even been classified as food. However, like superman, I have been informed that I have a cooking weakness. I usually am pretty successful at making whatever I attempt, except when it comes to eggs. According to my brother, eggs are my cooking kryptonite. They either turn out beautiful and delicious, or horrid, looking absolutely nothing like a normal egg should.

Anyhow, you can probably guess why eggs benedict would be a problem for someone who is terrible at cooking eggs. Really really terrible, most of the time. However, after watching an *amazing* Julia Child video on how it's done, I made something looking very much like eggs benedict is supposed to. That was exciting! It tasted great (if it hadn't, I would not be posting it), and perhaps, sometime soon, I can overcome my weaknesses! (There are actually two, I am very bad at making frozen pizzas.) 

I found that the biggest mistake I made was in the hollandaise sauce. I just lightly mixed the eggs, but you really have to whip 'em good. After spending nearly 5 minutes constantly whisking the yolks, they turned a light yellow color, and looked sort of like melted cheese. All in all, it was much easier this time, and I found that watching tutorials on hard recipes make them much much easier!


CALIFORNIA EGGS BENEDICT:

YIELD: 4 servings

TIME: 30 min
PREP: 15 min
COOK: 15 min

INGREDIENTS:

FOR HOLLANDAISE SAUCE:

12 tablespoons butter, melted

6 large eggs yolks

1/2 cup boiling water

2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

1/4 teaspoons garlic salt

DIRECTIONS:

In a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, whisk butter and yolks until a pale yellow color. Very slowly, add boiling water to mixture, whisking constantly.

Whisking constantly, heat the mixture until it is thickened and reads 160 degrees on your instant read thermometer. (That part takes about 10 min.)

Remove from heat, gently whisk in lemon juice, and garlic salt.

FOR EGGS BENEDICT:

INGREDIENTS:

4 eggs

2 tablespoon vinegar

2 English muffins, split, toasted, and butter

1 avocado, thinly sliced

1 large tomato, thinly sliced

Green onions, for garnish

DIRECTIONS:

To poach eggs, heat a saucepan full of water until it starts simmering (do not boil!). Stir in vinegar. 

Carefully crack eggs into simmering water. Allow to cook to 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove from water, and transfer to a paper towel. 

TO ASSEMBLE:

Place tomatoes, avocado, and eggs onto an English muffin half. Drizzle with hollandaise sauce, and garnish with green onions. Serve immediately. 


SOURCE: http://www.internationalfood4u.com/2012/09/california-eggs-benedict.html?m=1








No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.