Monday, July 21, 2014

Nutella Stuffed Cream Puffs


Yes! You read correctly, I made Nutella stuffed cream puffs. Possibly some of the greatest cream filled pastries that I have attempted, yet. I was recently thinking about how amazing Nutella was, but that I was very selective about what I ate with it. Usually I smear a bit on some fresh French bread, or a croissant. Although there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, I think Nutella, in all its epicness deserves to be experimented with more often.

Of course there is always a moment of fear where you think OH NO! What if I ruin a perfectly good 1/2 cup of Nutella??? Yes, I did experience that while it slowly dripped from my spoon in the bowl filled with whipped cream. Even though it was terrifying, I must say, it was very beautiful, observing the streaky chocolate swirl into the pile of whipped cream. I am extremely pleased to report that not only did the Nutella not become disguesting (that would be horrible!!), it turned out to be one of the greatest fillings for cream puffs I have made yet (I have probably made cream puffs 3 or 4 times, usually filled with vanilla pudding.)


Speaking of vanilla pudding, I want to try that again. I haven't made it in a couple years.... I had a bad experience. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea tohave the heat on high. As a result, whole batch scorched on the bottom of the saucepan. Since then, I have made plently of other puddings, but have been too terrified to reattempt vanilla. Pretty silly, right? I was so tramatized I actually wrote a poem a couple days afterward. It went something like, "I'm stirring a glob of pudding in a metal pan, I'm told to stir it quickly, as quickly as I can. Although I tried, the heat was high, and a puddle of pudding was all that was left. The rest was scorched at the bottom."

That's probably why I never became a poet. That really made very little sense... What is a puddle of pudding?? Well, I was only 12, and had some strange ideas, then. Anyhow, that is far besides the point. How did I get onto the point of vanilla pudding, anyway? I do hope to make more recipes with nutella in the future! That would be great! I have to admit, I did steal Betty Crocker's cream puff recipe. It's just so good!!! You can find a link to that, along with a couple other pretty awesome looking filling recipes HERE.



NUTELLA STUFFED CREAM PUFFS:

YIELD: About 12 puffs

TIME: 60 min
PREP: 30 min
COOK: 30 min

OVEN: 400

FOR THE PUFFS:

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup butter

1 cup water

1 cup flour

4 eggs

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, and grease and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

In a saucepan, melt butter, and stir in water. Bring to a boil. Stir in flour, and mix over heat until dough begins to form into a ball. Remove from heat, and allow to cool for 10 minutes.

Beat in eggs one at a time, and spoon onto prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, or until lightly golden and puffed. Remove from oven, and cool completely.

FOR THE CREAM:

INGREDIENTS:

2 cup heavy whipping cream

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup Nutella

1/2 cup milk chocolate

DIRECTIONS:

Beat heavy whipping cream in a chilled mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Fold in vanilla and Nutella.

TO ASSEMBLE:

Cut cream puffs in half, and scoop out their insides (it's far less gory than it sounds).

Fill a piping bag with Nutella whipped cream, and pipe onto puffs halves. Place the top over the whipped cream.

Melt milk chocolate, and place in a squeeze bottle (or another piping/ziplock bag). Drizzle puffs with melted chocolate. Store in refridgerator or freezer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.