Thursday, July 31, 2014

Vanilla Pudding Filled Doughnuts


For the longest amount of time, I have been dreaming of making cream-filled doughnuts. Now my dream has finally come true! (I should say aspiring, not actually dreaming, because once I dreamed the clouds turned to cotton candy, and that hasn't come true yet.) I was extremely nervous at first, because this is the longest recipe I have ever tried before. Also, I was worried that although the outer parts of the doughnuts may be thoroughly cooked, the inside might be still doughy. However, despite my apprehensions, these turned out to be some of the tastiest doughnuts I have ever eaten. Certainly the best cream-filled ones!


I added to my uneasiness before making these, by watching a video clip of Master Chef, where someone made cream-less cream-filled doughnuts. Can that actually happen??? I asked myself, desperately hoping that would not be the fate of my homemade doughnuts. However, to my delight, as I sliced one in half, vanilla pudding oozed out. I've heard that perfect doughnuts are hard to make, but after about 20 hours of waiting (these took a looooooong time) I think they turned out beautifully.


VANILLA CREAM-FILLED DOUGHNUTS:

YIELD: About 18

TIME: 10-19 hours
PREP: 15 min
RISE: 9-18 hours
COOK: 30 MIN

INGREDIENTS:

1 package (2 1/2 teaspoons) active dry yeast

2/3 cup milk, room temperature

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/3 cup sugar

2 teaspoons salt

3 eggs

7 tablespoons butter, softened

Vegetable or Canola oil for frying

DIRECTIONS:

In the bowl of an electric mixture fitted with the dough hook attachment, stir together yeast and milk; let stand until yeast is dissolved, about 1 minute.

Add flour, sugar, salt, and eggs; mix on low speed until dough comes together, about 1 minute. Continue mixing on low 2-3 minutes more. Add butter, a few pieces at a time, mixing after each addition until butter is fully incorporated and dough is soft, 5-6 minutes.

Remove dough from bowl and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 6-15 hours.

Lightly flour a baking sheet, set aside. On a well-floured work surface, roll out dough into a 12-inch square, about 1/2-inch thick. Using a 3 1/2-4-inch round biscuit cutter, cut out doughnuts. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap; let stand in a warm spot until they've doubled in high and feel puffy, 2-3 hours.

Fill a large heavy bottomed saucepan with oil to a depth of about 3-inches; heat over medium-high heat until it reaches 350 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. Working in batches of 3, place doughnuts in the hot oil. Fry until golden brown on one side 2-3 minutes; turned and continue frying on remaining side until golden, 2-3 minutes more. Using a slotted spoon, transfer doughnuts to a paper towel-lined baking sheet until cool enough to handle.

VANILLA PUDDING FILLING:

INGREDIENTS:
1/3 cup sugar

2 tablespoon cornstarch

1/8 teaspoon salt

2 cups milk

2 eggs, slightly beaten

2 tablespoons butter, softened

2 teaspoons vanilla

DIRECTIONS:

In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir, 1 minute.

Gradually stir at least half the hot mixture into eggs, and then stir back into hot mixture in the saucepan. Boil and stir 1 minute, remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla.

Place in a heatproof bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 2-3 hours until cold. (I made the pudding after the doughnut dough, and allowed both to chill overnight.)

CHOCOLATE GLAZE:

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 teaspoons light corn syrup

2 teaspoons water

DIRECTIONS:

Combine ingredients in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high in 30 second increments until everything is melted.

TO ASSEMBLE:

Place vanilla pudding a piping bag.

Cut a small hole in the side doughnut, and pipe the pudding into the doughnut. Dip into the chocolate glaze, allowing it to cover the top of the doughnut. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, allow to cool, and the glaze to set before serving.

SOURCES: doughnuts, pudding, chocolate glaze






No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.