Monday, August 4, 2014

Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins


This morning I found in my kitchen about 4 over-ripe bananas. I don't even like bananas, which could contribute to the fact they were sitting, uneaten (because the only people in my family who eat bananas are out of town.) Anyhow, I decided to put them to good use, and made banana muffins. Of course I could have made banana bread, but seeing as how I posted that already about two years ago (you can find that recipe HERE) I opted for muffins.


Even though I don't like bananas, I find them tolerable when they are accompanied by other flavors (like in a smoothie, or fruit salad), and absolutely delicious when in baked good, like banana bread, especially with chocolate chips!


I've grown rather accustomed to doubling this recipe, making two loaves of banana bread instead of one. However, I did not anticipate how many muffins that would equal... I sort of ended up with 36 muffins, and about 20 mini muffins. Oops.... Well, I suppose you can never have too many muffins! (But you probably can have not enough freezer space...)


Since these are muffins after all, there is not recipe for frosting. However, they taste AMAZING with some peanut butter! I suggest cutting them in half, spreading them with peanut butter, and then putting them back together again, sort of like a sandwich. Of course, if you want frosting, they would probably taste great with some chocolate (or peanut butter) butter cream!


CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA MUFFINS:

YIELD: About 20 muffins

TIME: 35 min
PREP: 15 min
COOK: 20 MIN

OVEN: 350 degrees F

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 bananas, mashed

2 cups flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and grease a 20-cup muffin tin (if there is such a thing), or just two 12-cup muffin tins, enough for 20 muffins.

Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla, until light and creamy. 

Mix in bananas, followed by dry ingredients. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven, and allow to cool for 10 minutes, and remove from tin. Serve with peanut butter!  




2 comments:

  1. I also had several over ripe bananas so I made these for my husband to feed his workgroup this morning. They were a hit - and so easy to make! Thanks Libby!

    ReplyDelete

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.