Monday, August 11, 2014

Mint Oreo Ice Cream Cake


My brother turned 18! That was super exciting, and as he requested, I made him a mint oreo ice cream cake. For some reason, in my family when birthdays arrive, most of us ask for ice cream cakes (whether summer time or winter). I am no exception to this, though I will occasionally opt for a French silk pie. What can I say? Ice cream cakes, especially this one, are absolutely incredible. They are also super easy, and can be made in a variety of flavors. A couple years ago I posted my Autumn-ic Ice Cream Cake, that had candy corn in it (the candy corn was super chewy frozen!).

Prior to enjoying my frozen creation, we all went to Valley Fair, where I was able to go on a roller coaster with a 200 foot drop, and reaching up to 70 miles per hour. Although it was scary riding up (the hill at the beginning seemed like it would never end) it was probably one of the most exhilarating and enjoyable roller coasters out of them all. Afterwards, we enjoyed the cake I had made, and luckily, it turned out perfectly (WOOHOO!!). Since this version turned out so nicely, I will hopefully be making it again very soon!



MINT OREO ICE CREAM CAKE:

TIME: 6 1/2 hours
PREP: 35 min
CHILL: 6 hours

YIELD: 15-20 (depending on how big the pieces are)

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 packages oreos, halved, with frosting removed

1 stick butter, melted

1 1/2 16 oz jars hot fudge

1 carton mint oreo ice cream

1 cup heavy whipping cream

1/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup crushed oreos

1/8 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:

Set aside 3/4 cup crushed oreos, but mix the rest into the melted butter. Press into the bottom of a 9x13" cake pan.

Heat up hot fudge (I nuked mine in the microwave for about 30 seconds), and spread over oreo crust. (It's alright it the oreos mix into the fudge a bit.) Allow to set up in the freezer for 2 hours.

About 5-10 minutes before the crust is done setting, remove the ice cream and allow it to soften slightly. Cut into slices, and place over crust. Use a knife of metal spatula to even it out, and fill in the cracks between the slices of ice cream. Place in the freezer while preparing the final layer.

Beat together heavy whipping cream sugar, 3/4 cup crushed oreos, and salt until soft peaks form. Spread over ice cream, and allow everything to chill for about 2-4 hours. (I just let my sit in the freezer over night.) Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving to let it thaw.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.