Monday, August 25, 2014

S'more Cupcakes


To my utter astonishment, I discovered that you can make homemade marshmallow cream! *GASPS IN ASTONISHMENT* I have always thought that it was a incredible yummy substance, but like chocolate, can only be purchased, and never made. However, I was, to my delight, completely mistaken. Marshmallow cream is super easy to make, and the perfect topping for these beautiful cupcakes.


I do have a confession to make regarding the cupcake frosting. I didn't torch the top myself. (Yes, that is how you get the top nice and crispy.) Probably so I wouldn't hurt anyone or burn the house down, my dad decided to handle the fire himself. That part can be skipped, but it makes them seem more like proper smores with the marshmallows all nice and toasted.




S'MORE CUPCAKES:

YIELD: About 20 cupcakes

TIME: 50-60 min
PREP: 30 min
COOK: 20 min

INGREDIENTS:

CRUST:

1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs

5 tablespoons butter, melted

5 tablespoon granulated sugar

CHOCOLATE CUP CAKES:

1 cup flour

1 cup sugar

1/2 + 1/4 cup cocoa

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg

1/2 cup buttermilk

1/2 cup vegetable oil

3/4 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup boiling water

MARSHMALLOW FROSTING:

4 eggs whites

1 cup granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter

Propane torch

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F, and grease 2 12-cup muffin tins.

Combine all ingredients for crust. Press 1 1/2 tablespoons into the bottoms of the muffin tin cups. Bake for 7 minutes, set aside.

To make cupcakes, combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix in wet ingredients. Spoon over prepared crust, and bake in a 300 degree oven for 19-21 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, and remove from pan.

For the frosting, combine egg whites, sugar, and cream of tarter. In a double boiler over simmering white, cool mixture until sugar is dissolved. Transfer to an electric mixer, and beat until stiff peaks form.

Place marshmallow frosting in a piping bag, and pipe over cupcakes. Using a propane torch, blast the frosting, turning them golden brown. Enjoy!

SOURCE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.