Monday, August 18, 2014

Sugar-Free Strawberry Shortcake


Isn't strawberry shortcake such a magical dessert? Perhaps it's only because whipped cream reminds me so much of clouds. Aren't clouds awesome? I used to think that airplanes would land on them, and all the people would get out and have a party. Naturally, you can understand me utter disappointment when I was informed that indeed, clouds are not places of partying, or technically places at all, but only collections of water droplets that will eventually fall back down to earth in the form of rain.


I'm not exactly sure how I got myself talking about clouds, but the whipped cream is pretty incredible. The recipe I have posted in other recipes just contains pure sugar, and not much else. However, it tastes twice as good when you substitute honey, and throw in a splash of vanilla. And what goes better with whipped cream, than fresh strawberries? 


SUGAR-FREE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE:

YIELD: 8 servings

TIME: 30 min
PREP: 20 min
COOK: 10 min

OVEN: 425 degrees F

INGREDIENTS:

SHORTCAKE:

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 tablespoons honey

1/3 cup Crisco

3/4 cup milk

WHIPPED CREAM:

1 cup heavy whipping cream

2 tablespoon honey (or to taste, depending on how sweet you like it)

1 teaspoon vanilla

strawberries, halved, for serving

DIRECTIONS:

Heat oven to 425 degrees F, and grease an 8x8" pan.

Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Cut in Crisco using a pastry blender, or two knives, to form coarse crumbs. Add milk. Mix until dough comes together. 

Transfer to a prepared baking dish, and bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the shortcake is golden brown. Allow to cool slightly before serving.

FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM:

Beat heavy whipping cream in a chilled mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Beat in honey and vanilla. Serve on the shortcake with strawberries.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.