Sunday, September 21, 2014

The Death of a Most Beloved Oven

This past weekend my oven died. More specifically, it exploded. Not the entire thing, just the coils, though it was rather traumatic for me, since I was standing right in front of it.

It all started when I decided to recreate my Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake. I was working on the first layer, a flour less chocolate cake, when all of a sudden there was a loud bang and flash. At first I worried that the oven had burst into flames. But I was ready. I knew where we kept the fire extinguisher, (I've set the oven on fire a couple of times), though first I needed to be sure it was actually a fire. I opened up the door, and was surrounded by a cloud of smoke. There was no fire, at least I couldn't see one, but the coils were glowing brighter than I had ever seen them before.

Even though I am no expert in oven mechanics, I understood that the oven probably was not supposed to glow that brightly. I quickly turned it and the stove off, and called for reinforcements (AKA my parents who know much more about ovens that I do). Turns out that the coil had exploded, or shorted out, or something like that (exploded sounds much more dramatic, though).

So... Long story short, until the oven is fixed or replaced, I will have to find other stuff to post about. Maybe I'll make soups or something. Ideally I will have a post up this Thursday, if not... well, my oven did just die, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.