Saturday, April 11, 2015

Gluten Free Lemon Cream Puffs



Not a lot has happen in the last few weeks other than endless amounts of school. I have had very little time for cooking, thus, the dreary silence overcoming my blog. However, today I felt inclined to make cream puffs, specifically, gluten free cream puffs.

Due to unpleasant stomach aches I have been experiencing lately, I have decided to stop eating gluten for a few weeks to see if that could be the cause. So far I have felt much better, but may mean that I have an allergy to gluten. :( However, I have since come up with more creative meals to eat (mostly nachos and tacos), and have utilized fantastic gluten substitutes, creating these beauties: gluten free lemon cream puffs.

These cream puffs surprised me a little bit. I always had trouble keeping the puffs "puffy" after they exited the oven. However, perhaps something the gluten free flour helps them keep their lovely shape. Although the taste differed slightly, the texture remained the same as ordinary cream puffs, if not better. Additionally, I have had a small obsession with lemon lately. Be it lemon tea, lemon water, lemon curd, ect... I thought making lemon cream puffs would probably taste pretty magical. I was delightfully correct. I worried that the cream might curdle, however, with only a little juice added it kept its proper form, while bursting forth with citrusy flavor. I will definitely be making these again.

Gluten Free Cream Puffs:

Yield: 2 dozen

Time: 75 min
Prep: 15 min
Bake: 30 min
Cool: 20 min
Fill: 10 min

Ingredients: 

1 cup water

1/2 cup butter

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 cup gluten-free flour

4 eggs

Lemon Cream:

2 cups heavy whipping cream

3 tablespoon granulated sugar

2 tablespoon lemon juice

1 tablespoon lemon zest

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, and grease 2 cookie sheets.

Combine water, butter, and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil.

Add flour, and mix in. Whisk in eggs one at a time. Spoon batter onto cookie sheets and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden and puffy. Allow to cool. Cut puffs open, and spoon out the doughy insides.

Lemon Cream:

Beat heavy whipping cream in a chilled mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Add lemon and sugar. Spoon mixture into a pastry bag, and fill the puffs shells. Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator.

3 comments:

  1. Hi. I love your blo. I was wondering. Can I use normal all purpose flour for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Absolutely. There is also a recipe for nutella stuffed cream puffs which are not gluten free. http://breadbrowniesandbeyond.blogspot.com/2014/07/nutella-stuffed-cream-puffs.html

      Delete

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.