Thursday, April 16, 2015

Guacamole


So, I have down a lot more cooking as of late. Mostly because I have not been able to eat gluten, and I am required to do some amount of cooking to create gluten free alternatives. Lucky for me, tacos, corn chips, and guacamole are all 100% gluten free.  I also absolutely love Mexican cuisine, and have been primarily living off of guacamole for the last week.


I think I actually made guacamole three times this week. Although it may not be the healthiest food in the world, it certainly is better than nacho cheese sauce, and it also tastes about a billion times more incredible. Most grocery store versions of guac are lacking in some very essential flavors. This, however, packs a spicy punch from the jalapeños, while also providing a tangy flavor from the lime. I even tried it with nacho cheese Doritos (gluten free also, by the way), which was very interesting, but not bad. In fact, Doritos are great at spicing up a lovely taco salad. I would suggest chilling this before eating it, but be sure to put plastic wraps directly over the guac so it won't turn a yucky brown color. :( This would go great with homemade tacos, and you can find that recipe HERE (the homemade tortillas are not gluten free). 

GUACAMOLE:

YIELD: 6-8 servings

TIME: 20 min
PREP: 20 min

INGREDIENTS:

4 avocados

1 jalapeño pepper

2 green onions

2 tablespoons cilantro

1 tablespoon lime juice

salt, to taste (I use about 1/2 a teaspoon)

DIRECTIONS:

Mash avocados in a medium-size bowl (or you could blend them in a blender or food processor for a smoother guacamole).

Remove core and seeds from jalapeño pepper and mince it. Chop green onions and cilantro. Fold pepper, onion, cilantro, lime and salt into guacamole. Store in refrigerator, but place plastic wrap directly over guacamole to prevent it from going brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.