Thursday, May 21, 2015

Gluten-Free Chicken Nuggets



Sometimes I crave wheat-filled food. For example, chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese are foods that usually contain an abundance of gluten, and recently, I really really wanted to eat some. So there I lay, upon my bed in mild despair that I could never again eat a chicken nugget. However suddenly the idea struck me, Why can't I make my own gluten free chicken nuggets? Soon afterwards I found a great Betty Crocker gluten free chicken nugget recipe, and after adapting it slightly, made my own. 

However, recipes lie all the time. For example, this recipe suggested cooking the chicken for 10-15 minutes. No. Uncooked chicken will not magically become fully cooked after 10-15 minutes. I cooked mine for 30-45 minutes before it was no longer raw. (I covered them with aluminum foil to keep them from burning.)

I also paired the chicken nuggets with homemade gluten free macaroni and cheese. (You can find that recipe by clicking HERE). 

GLUTEN FREE CHICKEN NUGGETS:

TIME: 60 minutes
PREP: 15 minutes
COOK: 45 minutes

YIELD: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS:

3 cups corn Chex, crushed

1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

1/4 cup corn starch

1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

1/4 teaspoon Paprika

6 tablespoons butter, melted

2 tablespoons butter

1 lb. chicken breast, chopped 1" bite size pieces

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, and cover a cookie sheet with greased aluminum foil.

Mix together dry ingredients, and in a separate bowl, combine butter and milk. Dip chicken in butter-milk mixture, and roll in the Chex-mixture. 

Bake for 30-45 minutes. If chicken gets too dark before finished cooking, cover with aluminum foil. Turn nuggets over halfway through suggested baking time so they cook evenly. *Serve immediately with macaroni and cheese. 

* I also made a homemade honey mustard as a dipping sauce, for that, combine 2 tablespoons of mustard for every 1 teaspoon of honey.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.