Thursday, May 7, 2015

Swiss Bacon Chicken


Bacon is a wonderful food. Although it has been *rumored* to cause cancer, I once read about a 105-year-old woman who ate bacon all the time, and was perfectly fine. Don't believe me? Click HERE to go read about it for yourself. I want to meet that lady. She's awesome.

So, it turns out bacon doesn't have to be annoying and time consuming to make. A lot of people fry it, but that takes forever, and is messy, and gets grease everywhere. I usually try to avoid frying things because I have a lot of scars on my hands from spilling searing hot oil. (Thank you, inventor of scar cream!) It turns out, delicious crispy bacon can also be made in an oven. Really. I'm serious. I like it more when cooked in the oven because it gets evenly cooked and crispy, and there aren't annoying chewy fat pieces. It all melts together into a delicious piece of incredible bacon. (To cook it in the oven, preheat to about 375, and bake on parchment paper for 15-20 minutes.)

Since my marvelous bacon discovery, I've been cooking with more bacon. (I actually discovered it sometime last year, I just forgot to post it.) I'm not a bacon glutton or anything, but I used to only eat it about once a year. Anyhow, so I've found a lot of yummy bacon recipes, including this one, chicken wrapped in bacon, topped with swiss cheese. *Bonus! It's gluten free! Pretty much anything with bacon and/or cheese is destined to be delicious. And I can assure you, chicken is no exception.

SWISS BACON CHICKEN:

YIELD: 4 servings

TIME: 90 min
PREP: 30 min
COOK: about 60 min

INGREDIENTS:

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded into 1/2" inch thickness

1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning

1 teaspoon garlic powder

salt and pepper, to taste

8 pieces of bacon, slightly undercooked

4 slices of swiss cheese

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 375, and line a baking sheet with greased aluminum foil.

Season chicken, and wrap in bacon. Bake for about 60 minutes, until fully cooked. Top with cheese about 10 minutes before chicken is finished cooking. Serve immediately.

ORIGINAL UNMODIFIED RECIPE



No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.