Monday, June 15, 2015

Gluten Free Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins


I have been gone for a week. Specifically, I went to a Christian Worldview Camp that did not allow electronic devices, and provided no opportunities for me to cook or blog anything. Additionally, this particular camp did not provide excessive food options for people possessing gluten intolerances. I solely survived on fruit, salad, bacon, and ice-cream for the entire week. But they had pretty good ice-cream. Since I was in cooking withdrawal, I spent a lot of the time dreaming of the marvelous dishes I would create once I returned.


Upon my return I immediately noticed a kitchen stocked with fresh fruit, (such as lemons and bananas) and an abundance of gluten free flour. YAY! I decided to bake some banana bread first (click HERE for that awesome recipe) followed by these beauties. This recipe is an adaption from the Lemon Poppyseed Muffins found HERE.

LEMON POPPYSEED MUFFINS:

YIELD: About 12 muffins

TIME: 30 min
PREP: 10 min
COOK: 20 min

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup butter, soften

2/3 cup sugar

2 eggs, separated

1 1/3 cup gluten free all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoon poppy seeds

zest from 2 lemons

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 cup milk

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 teaspoon vanilla

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and grease a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks one at a time.

In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients, including poppy seeds, and lemon zest.

Fold dry ingredients and wet ingredients together. Mix in lemon juice and vanilla. Beat until smooth.

In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks from. Gently fold them into the muffin batter, until blended. Spoon into greased muffin tin.

Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden, and they pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool for 5 minutes before removing for tin.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.