Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Chocolate Covered Caramel Corn (Cub Scout Copy-Cat Recipe)


When I was little, my brothers did Cub Scouts, and every year they had to go door-to-door selling this incredible (overpriced) chocolate covered caramel corn (among other popcorn flavors). Every year we ended up with a barrel or two of this shtuff, and it. was. amazing. Amazing, actually is probably an understatement.


Today I had the absolutely brilliant idea of replicating it myself, since I don't have a lot of access to Cub Scout popcorn anymore. The caramel corn itself tastes absolutely amazing, and doesn't actually require chocolate, but pretty much everything tastes a little better with added chocolate. Imma put all the poor little Cub Scouts out of business with this recipe!


I have found a lot of caramel corn recipes tend to call for a lot of stove-top-popped popcorn. I personally do not have a stove-top-popper, nor do I know many people who do. (Probably why caramel corn isn't a super popular homemade dessert.) So I used good 'ole butter flavored microwave popcorn. In addition to my house now smelling like a cross between a county fair and a movie theater, my caramel corn turned out brilliantly, proving the microwave popcorn works just as well in caramel corn recipes. Yay!

CHOCOLATE COVERED CARAMEL CORN:

YIELD: About 6 cups

TIME: 2 hours
COOK: 45 min

INGREDIENTS:

2 bags of microwave popcorn, popped

1/2 cup butter, melted

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup corn syrup

2 1/2 cups milk chocolate, melted

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F, and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Combine butter, sugar, and corn syrup in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, until boiling, and then boil mixture for about 5 minutes until golden brown, and sugar crystalizes. 

Place popcorn in a large bowl, and pour caramel mixture over the popcorn. Gently fold caramel into the popcorn with a rubber spatula.

Place an the baking sheets, and bake for 45 minutes. Allow to cool fully, and then break apart the popcorn.

Once popcorn is cool, pour melted chocolate over it. Gently stir, and coat each kernel. Place in a cold location until chocolate is hardened.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what I have posted? Leave me comment! I love getting feedback.